What You Need to Know About Fat to Live Long, Lean, and Health
I believe the very premise behind "low-fat" and "low-carb" diets is bunk. They both totally miss the point. If you want to optimize your weight and perfect your health, you should focus on the TYPE of fats and carbs you eat. Your goal should be to eat "good fats" and "good carbs" and avoid those that are unhealthy.
Here's the skinny on fat:
* AVOID omega-6 fats. These fats strongly promote inflammation and are clearly linked to cancer and heart disease. Omega-6 fats are primarily found in vegetable and seed oils (corn, soybean, cottonseed, etc.). This would eliminate fried foods and most processed foods from your diet.
* AVOID trans-fats. If the product's label lists "hydrogenated" or "shortening" among the ingredients, don't eat it.
* CONSUME omega-3 fats. These should come from fish and fish oil, eggs, and naturally raised meats. Walnuts, flax seeds, and hemp seeds are also excellent sources of omega-3s.
* CONSUME saturated fats. Saturated fats should come from the meat and dairy of animals raised on their natural diet (i.e. grass-fed cows, free-range chickens). Coconut oil is another very healthy source of saturated fat.
* CONSUME monounsaturated fats. The best sources of these healthy fats are nuts, avocados, and olive oil.
The message here is to mimic the diet of our ancestors and eat unprocessed, natural foods. Do that and you will have better health, better control over your weight, and greater satisfaction from the foods you eat.